Vegan Zucchini Brownies
Out of the abundance of Zucchini that August brings, I have found refuge in this recipe. Here’s my adaptation of the original recipe from The Live-in Kitchen.
- 1½ cups coconut sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, lightly drained of excess moisture (key here is lightly)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, oil, and flour until the mixture resembles wet sand. Turn the mixer to low and add cocoa, zucchini, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.